- Stir the yeast, water, and sugar together in a cup until the yeast dissolves.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
- When yeast mixture begins to get bubbly, slowly stir it into the flour mixture.Then add a well-beaten egg.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and knead for several minutes.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until doubled in size.Then punch it down and roll it out thinly with a rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into strips, then shape into a heart, or a traditional pretzel shape.If you prefer, twist two strips together to make a braided pretzel stick.
- Boil a large pan of water and slip each pretzel into water for a few secondswith a slotted, metal spatula. Then place the pretzels on a greased cookie sheet.
- Brush each pretzel with a beaten egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon milk andsprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds, and salt.
- Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes until golden brown.
Deal of the Day